“Informal English Phrases
These phrases are ideal for language tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. These phrases will probably be too informal because they are too personal in an academic essay.
“IN MY OPINION, + YOUR SENTENCE”
- A good education is more important than a good car in my opinion.
“I BELIEVE THAT + + that is THAT SENTENCEYOUR”
- I really believe that schools should encourage students to walk or cycle to school rather than drive.
“IN MY MIND, + YOUR SENTENCE”
- “In my mind, no-one should have to fund medical care.”
More Formal Academic Phrases With ‘That’
These phrases are more ideal for academic essays. If you should be unsure whether you should use a friendly phrase or an academic phrase, use an academic one. If you were to think your writing may be informal, look at this post to learn more.
The patterns listed here are quite straightforward. Just add your sentence after ‘that’.
“IT WOULD SEEM THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Use this whenever you support your opinion with evidence.
- “It appears to be that children learn best when they’re feeling comfortable.”
“IT MIGHT BE ARGUED THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Use this when you want to challenge an existing opinion.
- “It could be argued that the huge benefits outweigh the drawbacks in this situation.”
“THIS SUGGESTS THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Make use of this whenever you don’t like to fully agree to an opinion. You’re giving yourself some distance.
- “The ev >“THIS PROVES THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Utilize this when you are at ease your opinion. This phrase is fairly strong*
- “This proves that the simplest way to lose excess weight is by a controlled diet and a good workout program.”
“THIS SUPPORTS THE INDISPUTABLE FACT THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Use this one when an opinion is being supported by you which you have already made.
- “This new research supports the >Other approaches to Express Opinion
“ALTHOUGH IDEA YOU DISAGREE WITH, IDEA YOU AGREE WITH”
Utilize this when you want make your opinion seem balanced. You may even examine the page that is following academic paper writing .
- “Although reports claim that cigarettes could help visitors to lose some weight, there are way too many health that is serious related to smoking.”
Note: The ‘although’ pattern is quite effective as it shows two sides for the argument. Read More